Tuesday, October 31, 2023

The Sloth and I

The Sloth and I
 
 
A three toed sloth
came wallowing through
The night was dark
and inky too
She wore a hat
and one blue shoe,
And that was all I knew.

Her eyes were huge
And round and red
Two of them
Right in her head
And in her hand
A book she read,
And I was full of dread.

A sloth, you see
I've never seen
Are they good
Or are they mean
And if they're mean
What does that mean,
To learn I was not keen.

She looked at me
And I at her
The night went by
It was a blur
And from her perch
She would not stir,
A bed I would prefer.
 
When morning came
the sun came up
She offered me 
a coffee cup
To work, she said
But one last sup,
I dared not interrupt.
 
She left behind
an apple core
And there upon
the forest floor
the book was open
to page four,
A line was underscored.
 
"To haste makes waste".
I clenched my jaws
It was a clause
That made me pause
I read it twice,
if not because,
I'm late, myself, for work.


No comments:

Post a Comment